View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Current Member

Default Re: Solid Gold Hits - Did B-Boys Have Any Say?

Any number of reasons, the following is my very hazy recollection/speculation.

It was something to do with AIFST - the label wanted a release to offset the time being taken to put together the DVD, plus there may have been some wrangling related to the revenue streams of the film. Which is to say, Oscilloscope was likely to profit from the film release and Capitol wanted something for that if it came at the opportunity cost of a recorded release. In any case, they wanted in.

The band/MCA ostensibly had input as far as using the ridiculous early PR shots, sure. Plus, coming with the DVD was a nice touch, particularly as the aforementioned film got some shine in the form of the Brass Monkey clip. The 'video' for That's It That's All shot on the Australian leg of the Pageant tour, that could have only been their doing.

Around the time, Adam Yauch was posting here in response to queries about SGH on the boards. Myself and Zorra were quizzing him about it and about Axl Rose. She or I asked if it were ironically titled Solid Gold Hits because it contained nothing but obscure, never-before-released recordings by the band. While answering in the negative, Adam did concede that "that would be a cool idea..." which even to this day has me holding out hope.

Of course, the title is ironic in any case. That's unmistakably their doing. All of this is probably still sitting in the nether realm of the search function.

Shout at the Devil!