View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Solid Gold Hits - Did B-Boys Have Any Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
I actually thought a lot of their selections for the anthology were not that good. They seemed to want to show the progression and range of their music rather than the best tracks (although obviously a lot of them were there).
Maybe that's the difference between a best of and an anthology ...
I think your last comment is apt. It's like an overview of everything, as opposed to a best of or greatest hits. Personally, I love the anthology. There are a few songs I might swap around, and it probably doesn't represent the 42 best Beastie Boys songs of all time. But it works for me.

I think also, in an age that was still pre-download and digital, it was cool to include a lot of rarities or deep cuts. But as you say, it really complements their array of styles.

One thing I've always been interested in is the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, fans were able to compile their own tracklisting for their own personalised anthology via an earlier incarnation of the B-Boys website. I've never seen any photographic evidence, but what a great idea and - if executed - what a cool thing to do.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.