View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Solid Gold Hits - Did B-Boys Have Any Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I actually got two of them. You could name your album, which was cool. As the paper add says, you could go online to pick the tracks or you could check off the tracks you wanted and send in the paper order form.

If you ordered online you could jam more tracks in because the program calculated the track length. As long as your total track lengths were under the limit you could put on as many tracks as you wanted. I was checking all the track lengths to see if any of them varied from the earlier released versions.

I ordered one though the mail too because the website ordering expired and I still wanted one for my girlfriend (now wife) so I figured if I sent in one through the mail they might honor it because it was only a few days late and mail delays might justify that. They did honor the slightly late entry.

The discs were in single plastic jewel cases instead of the cardboard sleave of the normal release. Front art was the same as the normal release but with "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" at the bottom. The backs have the tracklisting and times and at the bottom there are mini album covers of the previous albums plus the general stuff you'd expect on the back of a CD. The discs are white with the tracklistings. Art-wise, they look good, like an official release.
I love stories like this ^

Here is mine...

I remember when the offer rolled out that my wife (now ex-wife) was pregnant with our twin girls. We didn't have internet service at the time (I can't remember why) and we were very worried about budgeting. I took the add and marked off every track that I didn't have at the time on CD, as well as every track that had a different title. I remember the wife telling me I was nuts for spending the money. I was able to fit all of the tracks I was missing onto 2 x 2CD compilations. I labeled them Old School Vol. I and Old School Vol. II. It was 71 tracks over 4 discs. At some point I also picked up another custom compilation from eBay titled "Straight Up B-Boy Style" with 30 tracks over the two discs.

When Beastienut sold his collection he very kindly included the original order sheet that he had saved as a bonus for a purchase I made. I still have it somewhere.

Then a few years ago DJBC emailed Silence7 from beastiemixes.com to see if an Acappella existed for Get It Together. He was working on his third Beastles release. By that time, I had pretty well cataloged my collection. I thought it would be fun to try and create an Acappella. Ultimately the only track in my entire collection with center panned vocals (useful in getting a pella) was from the make your own compilation. Ultimately he was able to use it on Ill Submarine.

Now I'm not trying to say that all of the tracks on the custom release are recorded differently, but it is probable that some of those tracks were sourced from archived recordings that vary from any other release. Wouldn't it be cool to source every available track from the order sheet and compile them?

We could title it the Fanthology.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 07-07-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: afterthought