View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Re: DR DRE Interview

Just to throw my ignorant two cents in regarding the whole Money Mark / session musician thing...

I think I agree with most people's points of view on here, and I also think that this is how it should generally work with session musicians. The way I see if, a lot of session musicians wouldn't have ever been heard by many people if other bands hadn't done all the work to actually conceptualize, create, and promote an album. If a keyboardist is instrumental in actually creating a piece in its entirety, that's a different story. But if someone asks me to just play some reggae bassline on a track that they're already creating, I don't see myself as missing out on anything as a session musician. If the band hadn't done all the work to actually make the record, no one would have ever even heard that bassline anyway.

I guess the tricky part is that no one - besides the musicians - actually knows what goes down in the studio. Maybe Mark felt that he worked through enough things with the band to be considered one of the creators on the track, but maybe they looked at it and thought "this is a loop we took from a session that didn't involved any really hard conceptual work."

Or maybe that's all wrong.....