Thread: MCA Tributes
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Re: MCA Tributes

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/76606...ews&id=1684534

Quote:
By Rob Markman

Adam "MCA" Yauch leaves behind a throng of mourning fans, and those who knew the Beastie Boys member personally have continued to share their final messages. Yauch's pals Madonna and Mix Master Mike shared their goodbyes with MTV News. "The Beastie Boys were one of a kind! And so was Adam! They were all an important part of my musical history. And integral to the musical revolution that was happening at the time," mega-star Madonna said in statement obtained by MTV News after Yauch passed away on Friday (May 4) after a long battle with cancer. "I'm very sad to hear about Adam's passing. G*D bless him and his family."

Madge included the Beasties as an opening act on her 1985 The Virgin Tour. Madonna had already established herself as a formidable pop act with her first two LPs and the Beasties were just getting started. Their iconic debut album License To Ill wouldn't come until a year later.

Mix Master Mike didn't start out a Beastie, but his legacy before his work with the Boys is well documented. A world champion turntabilist, Mike got the call to work with the Beastie Boys on their 1998 Grammy Award winning album Hello Nasty and has been rocking with the trio ever since. He too was hit particularly hard after Yauch's death. "The music world has lost an Icon and i lost a brother. I give thanks to Adam Yauch for allowing me to be apart of the Beastie legacy. I am so honored to have graced the stage with my idols for 15 historic years," he said in a statement issued to MTV News. "Thank U for your friendship and thank you for picking me to be your DJ. forever I will hold you close to my heart. My Condolences go out to the Yauch family."

There were a number of tributes on Friday night. During Coldplay's concert at Hollywood Bowl last night, Chris Martin and company performed a slowed down, piano-laden rendition of of the Beastie Boys' anthemic "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)."

The Red Hot Chili Peppers also paid their respects during their show at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Friday. "We're playing this show tonight for Adam Yauch," RHCP frontman Anthony Kiedis said to the crowd as reported by Rolling Stone.

Yauch didn't just inspire musicians, last night during their home baseball game against the Arizona Diamondbacks the entire New York Mets team paid tribute to the fallen Brooklynite by playing the Beastie's music as they each walked up to the plate.

Last edited by benchillin : 05-06-2012 at 02:34 PM.