View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Pitchfork review

It’s a strange review. Obviously the book - even though it was fairly innovative for its type - was going to be reflective as opposed to pushing forward, as is the show. The reviewer seems to expect them to be driving on as a subversive creative force when, with respect, that phase of their career is over. Possibly since the new millennium, certainly since Yauch passed.

I actually quite like Adam and Mike playing things fairly straight. The best parts of the book are not the cookbooks or comic features: it’s hearing directly from those two (bar a couple of the guest essays). When watching the House of Strombo interview it really struck me how few of those types of interviews exist, and how great it be to have had all 3 of them in that sort of setting / mood.

Anyway back to the review... Yes their story is well known to fans by now, and I’m sure there are things we’d all like to hear more about or - don’t hold your breath - find out for the first time. But 1) this was clearly never going to be a gossipy tell all book/show, and 2) I’m not sure how you’d even begin to make a retrospective show titled ‘Beastie Boys Story’ in the way that Pitchfork seems to yearn for.

Saying all that, I haven’t seen it, so perhaps these comments can’t wait.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.