View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Bucky Done Good

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauch
true true, in retrospect maybe we really should have just let the whole thing alone, and let it fade away. but then again, this seems like a good thread, so maybe it was for the best as it gets people talking about things like this. i'll say one last thing on the topic and then i'm gonna leave it alone.

i don't think that we ever looked at it like someone was going to hear the song and run out and beat someone up right there and then. we were looking at it more like, songs like that have an effect over time. when you hear "smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up..." over and over again from a band that you like, it gets drilled into your head.

if someone is impressionable and looks up to the band, maybe it leaves them feeling like in certain cases it's ok to give a woman a smack. even if they don't smack anyone themselves, just feeling that it is ok to do that is destructive, because it makes that kind of activity just a little more acceptable in our society.

Again, i’m not saying that songs like that should be banned, but I do think that having discussions (like this one) about what affects they could have, are good.
You should check out the other discussion that was sparked by this a few weeks ago:
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=29034

Brap!