View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 04:47 PM

Default Re: "I'm a Lumberjack DJ Ad-Rock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Can't remember where I heard this but that's what I remember hearing.

I've thought about this one a lot.

My understanding was that Mike did the bulk of the "lead" cutting on Hello Nasty but there's a lot of other scratching on that album that he didn't do. There's a good deal of scratching on there that just doesn't sound like Mike at all. Somewhere there's an interview with him talking about coming in fairly late in the recording process and adding cuts to just a handful of the tracks. If I remember right he describes the album as sounding "corny" to him at the time in that interview.

So, when you look at the liner notes, the tracks with Mike credited on them all tend to match up with the tracks that have cuts that match his unique style. That makes me think the liner notes are pretty accurate as far as Mike is concerned and ALL the other cuts were done by Adrock or MCA.
I agree with your entire well thought-out statement except when MMM says Hello Nasty sounded "corny" before he became involved. He was talking about the idea for 3MC's. He thought the idea was corny, but once they started making it he was on board.

On the Hello Nasty special episode of Mike D's podcast (which somebody linked on the boards) Mario, Mike & Mike go into some detail about how Adrock (who they all refer to as "the Kid" did most of the scratches and even in some parts where you hear a clear MMM "solo" scratch there is ALSO an Ad-Rock scratch underneath. So some of the scratches are combo of the two, which I thought was kind of cool.

message board