View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM
just here for the .gifs

Default Re: I dont like my job, but I make a lot of money

If you're unhappy, quit. Just save up a bunch of money first, and make a plan for a solid next step. But do it now and make the plan and just do the plan, don't just think about it all the time, do it.

I hemmed and hawwed about quitting my last job because my supervisors were assholes and basically swindling the public, but it was steady work and I could do whatever I wanted and I made a decent commission. So I stuck with it for 4 years, and I was so fucking depressed. I just drank all the time and was so tired, every day. then one day my hours got "suspended" (they took me down to 12 hours a week, vs. the full time I had been working for a "trial" period ) based on a bunch of made up things, and instead of just taking it, I quit. and shit was hard for a little while, but I'm glad I left and found something so much better. I don't make a ton of money, but I'm very in control of my working environment, I like my coworkers, and I'm respected by my bosses.

I gained the confidence to leave the shitty job because at one point, about a year before I quit, I took a small 1-2 day a week second job in a field I was competent in (tutoring). Participating in a different environment took me out of the routine at my shitty job. So it kinda broke the spell. And then when I quit, I just asked for as many hours as I could get at the tutoring place to keep my head above water. It ended up working out alright. I was only unemployed for about 3 weeks. Glad it happened before all this crazy mess.

I guess, in my rambling, I mean that you should take another job, or save money to go back to school. Take further training in your field. Research places that do what you do, but in a more ethical manner. Volunteer there, see about getting a permanent job there, if maybe it's a non-profit or something. I don't know. I think whatever you're doing sounds awful, I would not and could not work at a place like that in good conscience. If you love animals, you need to be an advocate for them, not a profiteer.

sorry dude, it's a sticky situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.