Thread: John Silva
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Music est. 1986

Default John Silva

Like I mentioned in the Anthology thread, I'm on a Beatles kick rick now and am watching their Anthology documentary from 1995. Anyways, there has always been a lot of information about their manager Brain Epstein and what he has done and how he helped the Beatles direction and success. Arguably, without Epstein, there might have never been the Beatles legacy that we have today.

This got me thinking about John Silva.

To quote Ad-Rock from the the New Yorker article in another thread

"We’ve known him and worked with him for thirty years now. They do all the actual work. Yauch wanted to do these Free Tibet concerts. He doesn’t know how to actually put on a concert. Do you know what I mean? [Silva] helped us not be corny."

I like to think I am pretty knowledgeable about Beastie Boys but I hardly know anything about Silva, what he has done or how he has helped shape the Beastie Boys career.

We know a lot about Russel Simmons and how he helped out earlier in their careers, but that only covered the first few years, where Silva has been with them for over 30 years. He is the hidden person behind the curtain.

Up until the Beastie Boys Documentary and a few interviews, I have never heard anything about him, nor know any stories. Maybe that's how he and the band wants it.

Does anyone know more info or stories about Silva and his possible influence?