View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Life without the Beastie Boys

I've posted before about how I feel like there was no real final, concluding moment with the Beastie Boys, despite the fact that Adam passed away and effectively ended the group. They put out their anthology, but then released 3 more albums. There was all the hubbub about Hot Sauce Committee and whether there would be a "Part 1." They all had side projects going on well before the group finally ended.

For me the Beastie Boys were always there. You could go years and years without a new album, and then they'd be back. They were part of the music world when they were teenagers and when they were gray. They were just always there. And now..... it's like the ride stopped but I haven't really been told to get off yet.

I still think of Hello Nasty as the "new" album, despite the fact that it's almost 20 years old. That hits me hard. If 20 years passed so quickly in between my concept of "new" music and now, I know that one day I'll realize that 40 years have passed. Then 60 if I'm still alive. I never really thought about it, but I wonder if that's how my grandparents felt about their music from the teens and 1920s..... god this is depressing. I need some brass monkey.