View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Re: I wrote some articles on unreleased Beastie Boys albums

First of all, I think they're both really great reads. I really didn't know much about the Mo Wax / Grand Royal collaboration album, but just reading about it now, I don't think I could have stood the anticipation and eventual disappointment if I had been aware! Besides Beastie Boys, Blackalicious is one of the very few groups that I actually collect, so hearing a compilation album with both groups would have been mind blowing.

Your White House piece is great as well, and a nice summary of a frustrating history. Given what a dick Russel Simmons is, I was always surprised he never tried to cash in on that unreleased stuff. There this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XryyG2uV25w) fairly recent clip of Russel being totally unaware of the real world, declaring that the Beastie Boys could have been "bigger than Eminem" if they had stuck with him. But I digress. It's a really good summary, and I had never seen some of the interview material you have in there.

One tiny think you might want to consider regarding your snippet on Rock Hard. You say that it was never released after the initial 1984 pressing (which was ultimately withdrawn). I believe Def Jam in Europe re-released it in 2007 as a vinyl single. Not sure if you want to look into that, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

Awesome stuff.