View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Desperado : Tougher Than Leather Mix recreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
The full version came from a guy who used to work at American recordings. I bought some Beastie Boys records from a guy off eBay in the late 90s, we got to e-mailing and he menitoned he had a friend who worked at American Recordings who had pulled the desperado rough mix "for playback purposes" off the master tape. The guy dubbed it for me along with the tail end of an "extended cut" of Possie in Effect (that has Adrock just talking shit over the beat at the end) which, apparently, came off the same source tape. According to him that was all that was ever on the tape. There were a handful of people from the boards I made copies of Desperado for, asked them to keep it on the DL, and they immediately started bootlegging it on eBay, and claimed they "found" it. I never leaked the Possie in Effect thing, and probably never will.
I honestly don't understand this mindset. Why would you keep something on the DL? It's like a big F. U. to all the Beastie Boys fans. If you have something special that Beastie Boys fans would love, why not share it with other Beastie Boys fans. I wish the Beastie fans were like the old Grateful Dead fans who made their own community and shared everything with each other.

Most people on this board are long term fans who would love to hear some Beastie Boys history.