View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Desperado : Tougher Than Leather Mix recreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
The good thing about that mix is that it's just a beat and acapella. That means adding samples is pretty easy. They'll multi-track in with the raw mix fine. The bad thing is that the quality on the raw mix is rough, and it was dubbed off 1/4" tape onto cassette without any attempt to bring the headroom to normal limits for a cassette. I had to boost the levels from the original cassette considerably, which adds noise. So, bottom line is, it's never going to sound as good as a finished studio mix, no matter what you do.

But, you could definately lay down clean drums under the existing beat and that would increase the apparent sound quality. Drums are layed on top of each other all the time in hip hop production. Then it's just a mater of laying in the samples and cuts. I think the "hooo" sample is custom done for the track. That's a problem.

There are a couple of other threads on this if you do a search. I don't think all of the sample sources have ever been put together.

I agree with most of this.

But alas you can't polish a turd. And by this I do not mean the song is shit, but the sound quality is. No matter how much you boost levels and enhance the original song it's still going to have that hiss and a chorus that is pretty much hiss and vocals that are barely there.

Yes, you can layer drums. But that is pretty much going to give you louder drums and burry the vox down even lower. It's like tug of war between the instrumental and the vocal tracks.

The cuts would be the easiest thing to do.

The ho's would have to be recreated by you and your mates.

To do a "recreation" like you asked. I stand by my statement that you need the vocal stems and the music stems to do a proper mix. I'm pretty much sure that those are either lost in someone's storage or more likely gone forever.

As Sir SkratchaLot said previously... bottom line is, it's never going to sound as good as a finished studio mix, no matter what you do.