View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Days of future past

Exclamation Re: health care in the USA

ARGH...

So much mis-information out there...

First off, your boy Gary has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. "Obamacare" isn't Govt. run healthcare, it's Govt. subsidised health care.

The government doesn't make determinations on procedures or medication, they just provide a subsidy and a marketplace to purchase insurance through at a savings.

The real rub is THIS IS WHAT THE REPUBLICANS DEMANDED... Everyone seems to have serious short term memory issues lately, and I honestly think the 24 hour news cycle has a lot to do with that. We are constantly fed an avalanche of information and our brains can only cache so much maybe...

But this is what the insurance company lobby and the GOP demanded, they amended so much of the original bill they basically got every concession they wanted, and then cried about how horrible it was the minute it was law.

It is not a perfect system, but considering who framed it, I am not surprised. Fact is, instead of subsidies, they should have eliminated the middle man and gone to single payer system or just use tax revenue to pay doctors directly, you know like most of the civilized world.

Problem is, a lot of doctors and insurance companies have been getting extremely rich and don't want to loose that payout. This has all happened in the last 30 or so years. When I was a kid, you didn't NEED insurance to see a doctor. You could have a family doctor, pay $20 and take care of nearly everything. Sprains, vaccines, school check ups, etc. If it was an emergency you went to the hospital and I'm pretty sure I would have known about my dad spending $15k for a broken finger.

But when the big insurance companies came through them and the docs figured out they could overcharge for services because they'd get paid. They don't want to see that payday end.

Personaly, insurance companies charging more for the same or less coverage is greed. I can't find, and when I have asked couldn't get a straight answer to just what part of "Obamacare" was causing these increases in costs. In fact, because so many people are being added to the rolls, costs should be going down. The good thing is that part of the law states that insurance companies cannot make more than I believe it's a 10% profit, and they have to refund anything over and above that ammount to the clients directly. Our insurance company at work had to refund quite a bit. I expect a huge refund this year as the rates skyrocketed but coverage decreased and co-pays rose.

If you are dispeased with how the ACA is working, direct your frustration to fixing it, not eliminating it. Frankly this mess has proved the insurance industry is not to be trusted and we need single payer. They'll have their niche of affluent customers that want a premium service and the average American can just be allowed to be healthy and not forgo health care because of high co-pays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
My favorite part of the thread is all of it.