Thread: Girls
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Scientist

Default Re: Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChavello View Post
Yeah, I was expecting that. The whole copyright bullies thing only makes sense if you think albums and advertisements are equivalent. They're not. I guess we know now that wrapping yourself in the flag is a really effective way to dumb down and simplify the issues in a debate. That's part of what makes me so uncomfortable about social issue advertising.
Interesting. I think I may be changing my mind about this as the story is developing. One person commented quite rightly:

Corporations do not have the right to use songs in advertising without the permission of the songwriters!
Do you really wanna go down the rabbit hole where Exxon can promote fracking to the sound of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' ?
From knowing the Beastie Boys, I am sure of 2 things:
If an actual ARTIST requested a derivative work license for 'Girls' from the Beasties, they would easily get it.
If someone posted on youtube a parody with well intentioned lyrics like these, they would enjoy it.
That's not what this is about. It's an Advertisement!
Does Masnick truly believe corporations are super entities that can ignore the laws the rest of us have to follow?

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."