View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Default Re: TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
My memory is that the original In Sound from Way Out was a limited mail-order Grand Royal offer for the first 5,000 people that ordered. It was advertised in Grand Royal Magazine. The record came on transparent yellow vinyl and had a numbered hologram sticker. I suspect this was never meant to be anything more than a limited release at the time they did this. It was really just a compilation of the album cuts of their albume tracks (or in some cases cuts from singles/eps). There was no new content (also, no CD or tape version was released). Keep in mind that not that many people were buying vinyl at this time. I'm not sure they were expecting it to be as successful as it was.

Some time later I think they figured out these instrumental tracks were worthy of more than a limited release. This was when the CD and black vinyl came out with the previously unreleased instrumental versions of Lighten Up and Namaste (at least, I always thought the vinyl reissue mirrored the CD, I could be wrong on this). Technically, this was the first re-release of this album. It appears that they put more thought and effort into the this release with the exclusive instrumental tracks and new song arrangement.

It seems odd to me that they would ever re-release the original yellow vinyl version because I suspect they put more effort into the project on the initial re-release to get the album where they thought it should be. But who knows! I guess we'll see.
It's funny how this keeps popping up (The In Sound discussion). I remember you saying that there were instrumental only versions of Namaste and Lighten up on the '98 reissue. I pulled out all of the vinyl and compared the tracks and basically found that all of the official TISFWO copies (from the test pressing through the last pressing in '98) were the same. Those tracks were also the same as the original French Fan Club release which came out just before. The only thing that changed on the '98 reissue (which I never realized until I just wrapped my head around what you were saying) is that the CD dropped Futterman's Rule, added the instrumentals for Namaste & Lighten Up, and changed up the sequence.

It's been bootlegged 4 times on vinyl since then. The first boot was a two LP that had the original 12 tracks in sequence plus Namaste & Lighten up from the '98 reissue CD tagged on at the end. The second boot is a straight rip of the original without the 2 new tracks that showed up on the '98 CD's. The third boot is the same as the original vinyl but with a different label and catalog number. The fourth boot is also the same as the original but pressed on 2 different color vinyls (we've found 9 color variations so far).

All of the subsequent reissues on CD have been the same as the '98 CD with the exception of Japan pressings which have 2 x each instrumentals of Sure Shot and Get It Together Remixes. I can't believe it took me so long to finally get what you were saying, but thanks for helping me understand.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 11-15-2017 at 07:17 PM.