View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleystp View Post
While I agree with this, and I agree that MMM didn't add too much, I feel that Mario would have a lot to say. He was there for some major Beastie Boys recordings, hanging out and hitting record for many years. He was a major player, probably one of the biggest other than the boys themselves.
Not only did he just hit record, he set up the mics and the studio, which is a huge contribution in and of itself. He also made beats with them, found and looped samples with them, wrote songs with them (more than anybody else I think?) and even sang "fucked up vocals" on... I'm blanking on the song, I know it's off CYH... maybe SGTG(?)... ALL of that is huge.

Even though I agree with everybody saying "the book is the book..." i do feel leaving his voice out completely was an odd choice. Same goes for $Mark. I bet he'd have had a story or two. Even an interjectiomn that'd have been worth reading.

However if you dig around the webs you can find a lot of interviews and articles about Mario's take on recording/producing/engineering/mixing the BBoys. It's all been said already. So what do I know?

FWIW, I'd also would have LOVED to hear what DJ Double R had to say. In the same way Kate got to have her say (which is one of my favorite parts of the book.)

But whatevs. I LOVE the book. Keep it on the toilet and read it often. Been looking forward to grabbing the audio book one of these days and deep diving into that experience.

message board