View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 05:55 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: Beyond the Streets Exhibit in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
When I see these Paul's Boutique lyrics hand written like this it makes me wonder if some of these songs or verses were written individually, or always as a group. Cause I always imagined them throwing out rhymes together and writing together. I just wonder, like with the Beatles, you think of them collaborating, but you always kinda know, this is a Paul song, this is a John song, etc.
They talk about this in the book
We Loved it, We Hated it chapter

"One of the things that would serve us well throughout our careers was that we would all usually sit around and write lyrics together. We’d write for a bit and then - almost like we were playing a game of boggle - decide that some arbitrary self-imposed timer had gone off and it was time to read aloud what we had. This could be both intimidating and frustrating - one of us might have a run we really liked, but that didn't mean the other two guys would vote it in. As ruthless as this process could be, we became each other's best editors. After inferior lines were vetoed we’d then organize the mutually approved bits and divide up who was saying what. So as opposed to me writing my own parts, Adam writing his, and so on, all of us co-authored, and then divided up the lines after we’d voted on what should stay. In the process, we stumbled upon what defined Licensed to ill: fantasies of life that we pretended to have, delivered in interweaving, accented, occasionally doubled and triple vocals. - Mike D
"