View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Current Member

Default Re: You ever worked in fast food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzolese View Post
Low-wage jobs in highly corporate companies teach the worst lessons, I think.

They don't encourage innovation or originality, because all decisions come from above and you're not supposed to change anything, even if it makes things better. You're taught to do the minimum and shut up.

You're not encouraged to work harder because in the places I worked, managers were brought in from outside, hardly ever promoted from within. They like keeping people at minimum wage without benefits because it's cheaper. We were treated like we didn't matter, and very little was expected from us.

You're taught to be wasteful. The donut shop where I worked, we weren't allowed to take home any food at the end of the day. It wasn't stale, it just wasn't fresh enough to sell by their standards. We had to throw it all away. We couldn't even toss it outside for birds. The bookstore threw away tons of paperbacks weekly because that was cheaper than mailing them back to a publisher, and we couldn't donate them anywhere. They didn't even recycle old newspapers and magazines. All into the trash.

Yes, it teaches humility and the value of money because of how tiring it is to earn so little. But, as far as work ethics? It's the worst!
You learn how they do things, and you learn whether or not that is how you want to do things.

Shout at the Devil!