View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Who is the man?

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Hi there,

I've been meaning to post here during these last couple weeks, but I'm late. Sorry about that, and I don't mean to rehash over sadness or sorrow.

I'm close to 35 and I really began to get into the b-boys during my late teens. Countless times I recall having a f'ed up day at work, or problems in my personal life, yet I could always find happiness with their music. I remember playing "Time to Get Ill" on Friday's at work right around 4-5pm, getting hyped up about going out to have some beers or go over to a friend's house to party it up. Shortly after I got into all of the other albums which had been released at the time.

The first Beasties show I ever attended was in Oakland, back in 1998. Hello Nasty tour, first time MMM toured with them. First time me or my friends got to see the b-boys. So we get there, and we have these seats which were obstructed by the recording cameras. My friends start to complain, and we're told by the cameraman that he will talk to security to see if we can get better seats. After a few minutes he comes back to say there's good news and bad news. Bad news is, no more seats available. Good news is, they can give us general admission tickets. I remember how stoked I was. We got GA tickets and I was RIGHT UP AGAINST the barricade. The Beasties were touring with the rotating stage back then, MMM's group the Skratch Pklz were the headliner. I'll never forget that moment the b-boys came out on the stage, opening the show with "THE MOVE". Never saw a crowd get so excited. Second song was "Sure Shot", the whole crowd started jumping up and down. I had to hold onto the barricade just to keep myself from getting thrown up into the air, lol. It's one of many great Beastie-related memories that is forever engrained in my head.

Anyway, I just want to say Yauch's death troubles me just as much as anyone else. I love the Beastie Boys for everything they've done, fighting the good fight, even when it wasn't the popular thing to do (remember when they asked the prodigy not to play 'smack my bitch up' at the festival they were both playing at?). They have always been the type of guys who never let their egos run rampant like some other celebrities. On the outside, they are a globally known, legendary group that has influenced countless groups and grown a fanbase that transcends generations. On the inside, they were always just three humble old friends who liked to hang out, joke around and make music.

Thanks for everything, Yauch. Long Live the B-Boys. Sean Lennon once said he believed the Beastie Boys to be the Beatles of our generation; I've been thinking back to that quote since Yauch's passing and I think Sean was more accurate than he could have possible known.

Thanks for making the music which has captured countless moments from some crazier days of life, to the life I lead now. Mike D, Ad Rock: Beastie fans got your back 100%. Young and old, from the East to the West.

Sorry for the ramble here, it's hard to articulate so much right now.