View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 07:29 PM
space cake cookie

Default Re: Never saw the Beasties do this.

An Oral History of the Beastie Boys: “The Story of Yo”

"Doctor Dre: I was onstage at the famous we-almost-got-killed concert at the Apollo Theater, opening for Run-D.M.C. Everybody was like, “Look, whatever you do, don’t say ‘nigger'” — because it was part of what we did, before a lot of people were doing that in hip-hop. They didn’t mean it in a negative way, they meant it as something warm and generous to their audience. But Russell grabs me and says, “Don’t let ‘em do it.” And I’m like, “What am I gonna do? I’m in the back DJing.” So they’re out there doing “She’s On It,” and Ad-Rock says, “All you niggers, wave your hands in the air!” I’ve never seen so many blank stares! Mike looks back like he doesn’t know what to do, but Yauch was like, I’m out of here! And Ad-Rock’s going, “Come on y’all, come on y’all,” and nobody’s waving back. They finished the song, dropped the mics, and ran off the stage. I’m still out there, and everybody’s kind of looking at me. I run upstairs to the dressing rooms, and everything’s gone. They weren’t even on the tour bus. They all jumped in a cab and went home."

thank you adam adam & mike