View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Adidas Americana Beastie Boys sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
The way to prevent this dynamic is to not create it in the first place. Don't sell these exclusive limited runs like this. Just make the stuff available for purchase on a web store for whoever wants to buy it. When they sell out make more. This would raise way more money for the charities.

I don't get the whole collector rare exclusive thing. To be honest, much like in the art world, for me, the only way it makes sense is as someone who buys and sells for profit. If someone is going to go on eBay and pay the $500 for a pair of sneakers, to me, that doesn't make sense. But people will do that. So of course someone will want to be the seller.
I agree 100%. I think that sometimes, things become expensive due to availability, but also fate. Case in point, the 7" green Get It Together record sells for at least $50 on Discogs. Sure, these were limited edition at the time, but it was more than vinyl was kind of dead in the mid-90s and no one could predict that Ill Communication would become one of the most important albums of the 90s. In 2019, people who bought that record for sale price back in 1994 can sell them for more. That's one thing.

But when a product hits the market and will essentially only be sold on the secondary market to actual fans, that's a different story. I'm not saying Beastie Boys never did limited runs in the past, but it wasn't like the sneakers and the RSD release. Shit, I was still a teenager living in god damn MAINE when the anthology came out, and my record store had a few vinyl copies, so I could grab one with the money I made delivering pizzas.

An example of how I think this went well recently: the 2009 collectors' editions and the most recent vinyl reissues. The collectors editions now sell for quite a bit, but as late as a couple years ago you could still buy them brand new from the website. The 2017 reissues were great as well. TT5B was stupid expensive to buy online, but then came the reissue and finally people could actually get a copy for under $30, and when the store ran out, they got some more in.

Last edited by tuc70021 : 07-27-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Adding more boss commentary