View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Can you elaborate? Because I’m not sure of the relevance. Honest question.
yeah man. most of it stems from working at a indie record store for so long. i was known as the "hip hop" guy because of being a semi-popular local DJ/beat maker and also from playing beasties, Def Jux and backpack rap in the store constantly.

anyhoo, i would get asked for rap music recommendations daily and it seemed like 9 times out of 10 what they really were asking for (even if they didn't know it) was rap music they could relate to. which would be white rappers due to living in Maine because everyone is basically white there.

i'm not trying to say those people are racist because of that. white people like white rappers because they can relate to their lyrics and most importantly imo they can see themselves as being that white rapper. sorta like white people loving larry bird back in the day. they liked seeing a white person excelling in a predominate black sport just like they like seeing eminem, 3rd bass, beasties... doing the same with rap music.

so, when people asked me for recommendations i'd give them around 10 different (mostly black) artists/groups to listen to and they would end up choosing eminem or aesop rock 97% of the time.

this thread gave me deja vu of those scenarios. i didn't mean to throw any shots at anyone or whatnot. but i am going to go listen to EPMD all fucking day now because Erick is a personal friend of mine and he's one of my fav top hip hop producers of all time. i'll knife fight anyone in the damn streets that besmirch his beat making abilities. lol.