View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Hullo Daaaaaaaaaaaaaave!

Default Racism and little britain - and general comedic attitudes towards race

*This is a general question, not just about the show concerned*

This is a question ive been considering, and have heard a few arguments about. For those that havn't seen the new series (which isn't very good tbh) it contains both a black and Thai character both played by white men dressed and "blacked up". Is this racism, or just the actors playing characters in a modern ethnic britain?

Ive heard a few people claiming the show to be racist, but these were all white people. But are people dressed as characters from a different race racist? Well, in my opinion i believe that maybe it could also show a positive sign. Sadly comedy is mainly played by white actors and actresses, and doesn't show a broad spectrum of the comunity. White characters poke fun at many faults, and at the end of the day it is the situation that is funny not the race and creed of the character.

At first i found the Thai sketch featuring a character called "ting tong" racist, but then as the sketch went on i realised that the character would still provide the same jokes if it was a white character, and that the joke was that she was a looser pretending to be something she was not. Should little britain have therefore made the character white? Or does it show a less racist attitude to portray a character from a different racial background?

Is the worry about a person from a white background portraying a different ethnic group somthing we should applaud for breaking down racial barriers and making a less racist world, or an example of racism its self??

I smell

Last edited by Trimm Trabb : 12-02-2005 at 08:47 AM.