Thread: HSC Part One
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 01:26 PM

Arrow Re: HSC Part One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Potentially a really good / interesting find...

I know I'm not the only one who has wanted to hear the original mix (ideally with that superior artwork and sequencing too).

However, I think this has just been put together using all tracks currently available. I've only had time to listen to snippets here and there, and at first I thought maybe there were some slight differences in Make Some Noise and Long Burn the Fire. But I'm not convinced.

Obviously whoever has put this together has the knowledge to use the original Lee Majors and TMR, as well as getting the tracklisting right. But as KP points out, using the 2011 HALSFY is pretty lazy, and I do not not believe for one second that the Burndt Cake skit was simply renamed / reused for Full Force at the end of (what was released as) Part 2. On Part 2 it leads into the Full Force main beat perfectly, whereas here it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Some of the tracks I can almost convince myself that they sound a bit more lo-fi, but I don't believe it. The question is, why? Why bother doing this if it's not legit?
I just listened to Tadlocks Glasses, Funky Donkey and Lee Majors Come Again so far.

I can't hear any differences with Tadlocks Glasses or Funky Donkey in the sorts of things you would expect to hear differences in, such as panning and effects. Those are the sorts of things that generally get tweaked in mixing/mastering.

Lee Majors, on the other hand, does have those sorts of differences. And Lee Majors is one of the tracks that got an early, non-Zdar release so that makes sense.

If you put on headphones the panning is the easiest thing to pick out.

So, I'm guessing these are re-ordered tracks and, when available, the earlier (non Zdar) mixes have been swapped in for the album versions.