View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Hot sauce committee 6 years on

Yeah - I just think it flows better. And little things: I'm a big fan of B-Boys In The Cut, so it's inclusion is welcome. But it comes in nicely after Tadlock's outro. And also The Larry Routine comes in naturally at the end. On Part 2 it feels a bit tacked on (I forget where it comes in on the second track listing).

It's great they still got the album out and there was obviously a positive undercurrent that maybe Yauch was getting better. But it's interesting how, given time to sit on something, there will always be changes. I obviously think they shoulda stick with it the original track listing (and front cover for that matter) but I can see why you'd feel the need to make alterations after two years. It's probably fair to say Zdar's mix was necessary too but I imagine that would be contested if we heard the original in its entirety.

Anyway... this is a well-timed thread. Although I liked the album when it came out, it had this huge cloud still hanging over it (for all of us I'm sure). I've found it difficult to really enjoy the record, given the prelude and the tragic aftermath. Like even though the FFYRR Make Some Noise video is brilliant, it's hard to enjoy. I think just the three guys including a healthy and recovered Yauch rapping in front of a beige wall would have been more heartwarming for everyone if possible.

But although Yauch's passing will always sadden me, I have found myself able to enjoy HSC a lot more recently. It's also nice playing some of the tracks alongside other B-Boys classics. I did so on a playlist the other evening and me and my friends all thought the HSC stuff sounded amazing. Say It in particular rolled in after a couple of IC classics (Alright Heat This, Freak Freak) and really stood up.

A sad era forever but a memorable album nonetheless. I also now take some strange comfort knowing that it was recorded without any knowledge of what was to come.

Also: Did anyone on here make to the Asheville or Baltimore shows before Bonnaroo? I've always wondered how they did the chorus on B-Boys In The Cut, or if they just let MMM scratch it up.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.