View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Feel Like A King - Frontline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
i think what set the bboys apart was their penchant to implement multiple formats across a single LP, and their ability to implement aesthetics from various genres within a single production. and pulling it off in a way that is fluid and accessible. while alot of adventurers, like Miles Davis in this instance, would more so go through phases, completely committing to a new style for an album or era and then moving on, whereas the boys would kind of just absorb a new style into their canon, thus expanding their palate of colors from then on.
Yeah, that was definitely something they loved to do, throwing everything they could think of on the wall and seeing what sticks. I remember Mike saying that a lot of the process was a lot of stripping things away to get to the final version people would hear.

As far as having multiple styles on the same record, I guess the Beatles would probably be originators in that sense. But the Beasties would combine various styles into the same song, which is taking things further. This is mainly on the rap songs. The jazz and hardcore songs are mostly straightforward. There were exceptions though. Gratitude is a cool progressive mix of rock and funk and soul. Lee Majors is an unusual mix of a hardcore song with rhyming over it. I think the fact that they came along when hip hop was starting to blow up made this mixing of styles come off stronger, it was like different worlds coming together to make something new. Many artists followed their path, to the point that nowadays, this all seems very normal.