View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM
no mames

Default Re: Anybody watch the Bill Nye, Ken Ham creationist debate?

I've spent some time over the past couple of years with fundamentalist Christians. I think a lot of us have been led to believe that they are morons and idiots for their beliefs, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

"The earth is only 5000 years old and was created in 7 days because the Bible says so" is not an argument. (Although there are many Christians who will admit that worldly scientific logic cannot be applied to spirituality, because its in the spiritual realm)

I'm pretty familiar with both sides of the argument, and I've heard more compelling arguments than just "The Bible tells me so."
There are people who talk about life. What is life? How do you explain life or its purpose? Where did life come from? How did it come from non life? How come everything we see exists for a purpose, if we do not exist for a purpose? Stuff like that.
There was a scientist who used standard population growth algorithms to project various scenarios, in relation to how long humans have existed.
And there's another scientist called Chuck Missler who examined the behavior and complexity in cells, and how you can liken it to a digital computer and how he has determined it to indicate some sort of intelligent creation.

So there are people who have actually investigated things, and come to their own conclusions.

But I don't know, I think its kind of a waste of time. I think it would be more beneficial for people with strong Christian faith to live their lives by example and inspire people around them than to debate with people that will never ever agree with them.