View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Bononista

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

My nephew was 12 years old when he purchased and listened to Licensed to Ill and to Paul's Boutique when each came out (first kid in line at the store). He didn't understand sampling and refused to believe that the tracks had work in them from other artists. I had to sit him down with Paul's Boutique and for each track, play him the song from which the samples originated. He was blown away.

Paul's Boutique was very special to me. Up until it I had been mostly into Beatles, U2, and had just discovered The Dead Kennedy's, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols. As more Beastie's LPs came out I nabbed them and enjoyed them along side of Jane's Addiction, and assorted other bands. I feel remorseful that I didn't take advantage of seeing Lollapalooza's 2 through 5 (I only made it to Lolla 1). But all the bands from 1991 to 1995 from those tours are still bands I listen to today.

MCA's "bohisattva vow" track I found to be amazing - it turned me onto exploring theology and comparative religion. One thing is for certain: MCA must have achieved enlightenment. I had lit a candle intended to burn for three days in hopes that it would light his way,.... apparently he must have made it to where he is going sooner because it went out in one. As a poet, a prophet, and a Buddha, and as a chosen child of God, I feel confident that not only will he always be in our hearts but he will return to this world and make it a better place.

I'm selfish. I wanted him here longer. My deepest empathy to Adam, Mike, and all the family and friends whose lives Yauch has touched.

Revisiting live video - the joy at the shows just can't be measured. I don't know if any band can make me feel the way Beastie Boys did live. Pure Joy.