View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Arrow Re: Beastie Boys sued over ‘Licensed to Ill’ and ‘Paul’s Boutique’ samples

The statute of limitations defense should, hopefully, end this quickly. I don't see how the plaintiff can claim they just discovered the use of the samples recently. They've slept on their claim for way too long.

I also agree that fair use proponents have got to get some balls and step in the realm of fair use. I mean, I can actually see the logic of Bridgeport saying de minimus use doesn't make sense in the context of the copyright on the recording. I wish there was a de minimus exception, but there are some pretty clear differences between de minimus use on the compositional side of copyright vs de minimus use on the recording copyright. With a composition there's the initial question of, is it even copying at all when you're using such small pieces, but with the recording it's clearly copying, even if it's small. But fair use is wide open! That needs to be pushed. It would really be great if it could be pushed legislatively, but my concern is that the powers that be have way too much influence. A big Supreme Court win on fair use could see a "legislative fix" making things even worse. At the very least I'd like to see a system where people can't stop you from sampling as long as you pay a REASONABLE fee. Frankly, I think it should be free as long is you flip the sample hard enough but that's just me.

But here's my thing, LEAVE THE BEASTIES ALONE FOR ONCE!!!! Why is it that they are constant targets for this shit? I mean, sue Dr. Dre or or Jay Z or something.