View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Mastering on 2019 Reissues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
Great reviews from everyone!

On the new 2019 PB reissue, I was eyeing the purple vinyl on the website here. Does the packaging come in the 8 panel gatefold?

On the LTI show vinyl note, the 12 inches from that era are always a great way to hear those songs.

Speaking of LTI and remasters does anyone have any notes on the LTI 30th anniversary reissue? Is it an improvement compared to the og?
The PB 2019 reissue is the 8-panel gatefold. It's also a very good quality sleeve and the images are crisp.

As for the LTI 30 year reissue, I don't believe this is remastered at all. The Beastie Boys store says that it was pressed from the original "production masters," which I think (given, I don't know much about sound reinforcement) just means that it was from the same tapes that they used to press the first run of the album.

As far as I know, nobody knows where the actual master reels are for LTI. I think they were lost in the Def Jam family somewhere. LTI has been released a few times over the years, and each time it seems to be the same version with no extra effort put into it. The 30th anniversary was on 180g vinyl though, so that probably helps with maintaining a good sound quality. My 1986 version sounds great, but it's got some serious rice krispies from years of play.