View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Scientist

Default Re: i miss talking shit with random strangers on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma belle View Post
Well I haven't darkened this doorstep for a while! Hi all old and new. And here's some random shit for you-

I recommend cheesy chocky biscuits to quell insatiable munchies..
Take any cheese and place a slice on any chocolate biscuit and voila!
The more expensive the cheese and biscuit the bigger the hit.

I should say, a biscuit in the UK is a close proximity to a cookie in the US, but its drier and more crunchy… like this - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/fun/news...p0wAWtRbAnfuE6

Definitely not a biscuit like in the US though.
This is an important and seldom appreciated cultural distinction. I do find that "cookie" is catching on in the UK though. Regardless, the population appears to be divided in its usage and the acceptance of the word "cookie" for "biscuit".

On a somewhat related note, I find it strange that Christmas crackers are not crackers at all. Also a tea biscuit is not a biscuit. Strange how a few hundred years can make communication in English so confusing due to divergent cultural evolution between two english cultures divided by the Atlantic ocean. Also, who gives the English the right to own the English language -- irony with a wink.

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."