View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Hello Nasty 20th Anniversary. Favourites?

Always my least favourite B-Boys record (discounting TMU), although I do appreciate it.

Body Movin' and Negotiation Limerick File remain two of my favourite Beastie Boys songs. Intergalactic, while overplayed, was perhaps their best ever lead single. I also have a lot of time for The Move and the rather underrated Just A Test.

Sneakin' Out The Hospital conjures up a real...vibe? Atmosphere? I'm not sure what exactly, but it is easily their most appropriately-titled instrumental! For me, Twenty Questions was the superior bossanova cut but I Don't Know is not without its charms. Much preferred the live performance video of 3MC's to the album version.

For me, there's just too much B-material elsewhere in my opinion. Can't fault the ambition, but (as I've said before) a lot of HN comes across as the soundtrack to a cartoon Beastie Boys movie. Playful sure (the likes of Instant Death aside), but no real edge to any of it. I think the album's either side of it blow it out the park.

That said, to mark twenty years I will certainly play it later on in the week - and I will enjoy it, particularly the skit about playing basketball in the rain and not getting wet!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.