View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Why have'nt they released HSCPT1 yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
The Beasties were always gonna release a part 1 & 2 of Hot sauce committee, so why have'nt we had the other part yet?
Its not "new" recordings or did they really loose their only copy of the another part down south in that zip lock sports bag?
Or is the other part one big joke like the fake samples on HSCPT2 because if it is, its worked on me for 10 years!
There are all sorts of competing theories on this, but they certainly didn't lose it on a hard drive somewhere because I'm pretty sure no modern recording artist saves all of their material on one drive with no backups anywhere else....

Many with an inside view of the process say that HSCP1 was just HSCP2 with a slightly different track order and some production differences, and that the naming "Part 2" just came from the fact that they had blown past a deadline for Pt. 1. Maybe they always planned to release two parts, but they really only had one album together, so being the Beastie Boys decided to release Part 2 now and then record Part 1 later. Of course that couldn't happen due to MCA's passing.

Others really believe there is a completed second album, but without MCA's input, they won't finish it. I think that whole concept it a little shaky because if the definition of a secret unreleased album is a bunch of music that the band hasn't approved for release yet, then by their own admission the Beasties have like 400 album mostly of "stoner jams" as Adrock puts it.

Others think it's just a big joke, like the secret submarine album.

My bet is that they do have some stuff that could make up a second part of the Hot Sauce series, but it's never coming out. The band has made it very clear that while they as musicians are not retired, Beastie Boys as an active band is over. They sometimes tease that there is all this unreleased work that "might" come out some day, but they then describe it as not very good and sort of move past it. I think 30+ years of amazing music is enough.