View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

wow, this thread got intense quick, no pun intended. (but while we're on the subject, is that you liam? that would be funny.)

ok, i am going to add a couple of things here.

first off, we didn't tell them not to play the song. we asked them if they would mind not playing it. that is not censorship, that is a conversation. the decision was always up to them.

secondly, the person who mentioned that there are misogynistic lyrics on LTI is right, and that is precisely the discussion we had with liam. it was basically from our side something like "back in the day some of what we said joking around was misunderstood... we learned from our mistakes... the song smack my bitch up really comes across to us like it is promoting violence towards women..." again, it was a discussion, not a demand.

third, you can say what the song means to you, and I can say what it means to me, but neither of us can say what it means to everyone. if you want to get a sense of what the song means, take a poll, ask a bunch of people what it means to them.

lastly, if you ask me, everything does have an effect in the world. If someone hears it, it has an effect. you are making me think by posting here, i'm making you think... every conversation, everything we listen to and see changes us a little.

i am not suggesting that we sensor people's music, but having conversations about what things mean or what effects they have on people is a good thing.