View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 12:16 PM
you fucking lemmings...

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauch

secondly, the person who mentioned that there are misogynistic lyrics on LTI is right, and that is precisely the discussion we had with liam. it was basically from our side something like "back in the day some of what we said joking around was misunderstood... we learned from our mistakes... the song smack my bitch up really comes across to us like it is promoting violence towards women..." again, it was a discussion, not a demand.

third, you can say what the song means to you, and I can say what it means to me, but neither of us can say what it means to everyone. if you want to get a sense of what the song means, take a poll, ask a bunch of people what it means to them.

lastly, if you ask me, everything does have an effect in the world. If someone hears it, it has an effect. you are making me think by posting here, i'm making you think... every conversation, everything we listen to and see changes us a little.
Ok, first....Yauch...i dig you. you seem like good people.
and i see your point.

but you're still repeating the same vague rhettoric i hear from far too many PC liberals....

things like "if you ask me, everything does have an effect in the world. If someone hears it, it has an effect." are very vague unsubstantiated statements.

what true negative effect does hearing "smack my bitch up" have on society or any individual?
it hurts their feeling?....it reminds them of past instances of thier lives?

tough!....why should they be coddled?.....why should they be pandered to?
don't go to the show...turn the station, ect.
if they misunderstand the meaning....THAT'S THERE FAULT! deal with it!

why should others be punished for that? (by having to endure censorship).

by asking Prodigy to please not play that song, you were asking them to censor themselves....plain and simple. end of story there.

this country is constantly putting "feelings" over facts....."feelings" over expression.
that causes so much damage in the politcal world, as well as the artistic world.
you, as an artist should recognize that.

you mention your early work on LTI....
tell me....did you actually mean any of those misogynistic remarks you made?....were they meant to be literal? even back then?
do you think any good-hearted kids heard those lyrics and changed thier whole philosophy on how to act in society?
of course not....there were just rap songs.......that's it.
they had little or no effect in that respect.

i think, unfortunately..artists sometimes put TOO MUCH stock in their songs...they think they have far more of an effect then they do.

music culture may influence fashion and/or some basic behavior in certain circumstances.
but behavior is BY AND LARGE is fueled by the direct enviroment we live in...and genetics. not rap songs.
music reflects....it doesn't dictate.

Last edited by Qdrop : 10-06-2004 at 12:24 PM.