View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by wints
And I should add that, yes, your point about choice is exactly what I was saying: I can make a choice to avoid hearing something I don't like, and I can make a choice to ask someone not to play something I don't like, just like Beastie Boys can. I can also make the choice to ask you not to call me a fascist, because it offends me, but by doing so I'm not censoring you. Learn the difference.
The thing your missing out here is that its not just about "my/your/one's personal choice", if that had been the case then every single person at the concert would have (and indeed did make) a choice about whether to stay or leave when smack my bitch up came on. However, if it had never been played then no-one would have had the choice, they all would have been 'protected'. Think people, where does that sort of protectionism end?

I think we can all agree that subjectivity means that we can't say what a song means exactly to every single person, but to not play SMBU on the basis that it might hurt someones feelings? Come on folks , take the rose tinted shades off, I like the Beasties too , but if a politician had come out and said this then you would all be up in arms.