View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Default Re: MCA Tributes

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfloatindown View Post
this is what got me:

Quote:
Adam Yauch was a regular kid, who sometimes needed to be pushed to do his homework—but not always, and sometimes came late---but not often, and who ultimately worked and learned some stuff about reading and writing in my class. He liked his fellow students, he enjoyed a good laugh, and he had depth and humanity, even then. When we discussed biographies for book reports, Adam read and wrote about Tony Hawk, the superstar skateboarder. Thirty years later I still remember it for its unbridled admiration of Hawk’s talents, and for his respect for Hawk’s philanthropy and good character. It never surprised me that Adam himself became a man of prodigious talent and who was concerned with people and philanthropy.
but the Tony Hawk timeline doesn't quite add up. Hawk was born 4 years after Yauch, and went pro when he was 14 in 1982.

http://skateboard.about.com/od/prosk...roTonyHawk.htm
Began Skating: 1977
First Sponsored: 1980
Turned Pro: 1982

edit: I guess that could have been Adam's senior year, but was Hawk doing charity work at such a young age? I myself was obsessed with Hawk in 1989, and you could say that I was a similar kid who always needed to be encouraged to reach my potential.

what a great perspective from a teacher's angle

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Last edited by YoungRemy : 05-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.