Thread: therapy
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM
just sayin'

Default Re: therapy

I saw a therapist and it was the best! I hear I lucked out because finding one that works well with you is difficult. At first I was apprehensive, I mean, "I'm not crazy."... I had to take who my insurance would cover and it was a persian woman... as I was having issues with relationship stuff and what not I was worried culturally (with male/female roles) what may come up... nothing funky and only everything good.

I find that talking to a professional is so freeing. When you talk to your closest of friends or family deep down you fear they may judge you or what decisions you make in your life impact them therefore you feel held back from saying what you really want. My therapist just sat back, listened, and at all the right times would ask me a question about why I thought/felt a certain way and forced me to either justify it or go... yeah, maybe I'm off base. But I did most if not all of the talking and, go figure, the problem solving!

It's really amazing when it gets to the point of reflecting on your life and how your life experiences from childhood on really dictate how you handle your adult life.

I was never offered any sort of medication and would be extremely wary of taking any ever.

I think EVERYONE could benefit from seeking professional help in this department at least once in their lives. The importance of mental health is too great and rarely acknowledged properly. We think nothing of running to the doctor when we have a broken leg; but, when it's a broken heart or mind ............ ?

What Would Yauch Do