View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Battletoad

Default Re: The "ignore" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAdrock View Post
I've heard a few times that Canadian doctors will go south of the border because they make a lot more money in the US, which contributes to the shortage of doctors and long wait times. Now, if the US adopted a universal healthcare plan like Canada's, I'm assuming there wouldn't be much of an incentive for them to jump the border as they have been doing, and wait times in Canada would not be as bad as they are now. Thoughts?
That's what I was thinking. Two of the reasons why I would argue the Canadian health care system doesn't work so well is the wait time and what you're alluding to, sometimes called "brain drain". If all of the countries in North America had the same system there might be less incentive to cross the border looking to open a private practice...but there might still be a shortage of doctors within the system because there's less incentive to become a doctor in the first place if all it will lead to is a standardized job in a nationally owned an operated hospital. But I have no proof to back up my point because it's all hypothetical.

The waits in Canada can be brutal sometimes:

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/170/5/776-a

Not good enough.