View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 10:45 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: Hester Diamond Sothebys auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesTea View Post
All of this is conjecture on my part so it’s just my two cents.

Agreed for the whole thread. That is all any of us are doing here, speculating and stating opinions, unless any of us knew them personally, then we don’t really know. And even if you did know them well, you still might not really know the full story. 

But from the Sothebys site they linked this. Which I only skimmed the first part. 

But it does mention how one of Mike’s ancestors came over from Europe and was one of the rare educated ones from that village and then became a banker, but then lost all work during the great depression, but so did everyone else. But if you check the family history, they have a few generations of some cashflow. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|X|Y View Post
Anyway, I liked this thread and wrote too much.

Same here. To quote a comment from the New York Times article. “The more I learn about the background of the Beasties the more interesting they become.”

I think that’s why I have been hanging on these boards for, holy shit, 18 years! That is just dawning on me now. Almost 20 years with some of you people….
“Same faces every day but you don't know their names”

I keep coming back and one of the main draws is that I find the band incredibly interesting. 

Learning about their individual personal lives is another fascinating level that I wish they delved into more with the book. I would buy and read their individual biographies, but as Ad-Rock said in the book “that’s a stuff for my personal memoirs. Which I just set on fire in my bathtub” so I don’t think that will ever come to fruition. Which I 100% understand. They have always seemed to keep their guard up when discussing their immediate family, and who could blame them? Especially in these times. And on that I hope it’s not too weird (probably is) or disrespectful that we are doing a deep dive on this thread.

Quote:
it seems as if the the 2 Adams came from more middle-class backgrounds. While I am sure Israel Horowitz was comfortable as a relatively well-known playwright.

Which is the other side of the coin especially when looking at artists from the outside. A lot of people who are not in the arts sometimes have a big misconception about what artists actually get paid. 

Sure Israel Horovitz is hailed as “the most-produced American playwright in French theatre history”

But that doesn’t necessarily translate to monetary success (although I think it might have in this case). I have met artists who I thought would be loaded but were not, and there are ones that I have never heard of who were. 

but, to your point and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Also remember that Adrock's mother was renting out a room (presumably to make ends meet).

I also got the impression that Ad-Rock was probably the least privileged of the three. 

Another thought I just realized as I’m typing this. A weird connection is that Mike lost his Dad and Horovitz lost his Mom around the same time. And now Mike just lost his Mom and Horovitz lost his Dad around the same time.

Quote:
I have also read that some of their friends were very good at inking fake handstamps so they could get into venues. I always assumed it was because of an minimum age issue but maybe it was also to avoid cover charges.

I’m sure that was part of it but more so and to quote the book:

“the drinking age in New York was eighteen and never enforced, you could be thirteen and get into a club no problem"

”

Walking up to the Danceteria: “will you get in? You’re only sixteen but for whatever reason, the doorman Haoui Montaug, likes you, so you slide in” 

“At the Danceteria, there was this really cool relationship between us kids and these slight older grown-ups. And being aging able to go to this place felt like a privilege. I mean shit…. They’d let us in (for free, no less)”

And the inspiration of Egg Raid on Mojo:
”Mojo was the doorman who worked at a few downtown clubs. Sometimes he would let us in for free and sometimes he would not”

I don’t think it was the money that got them into the clubs but more that they were gifted with charisma and charm that helped them with obtaining those opportunities. Whether that was genetically inherited or something they picked up from being around artistic parents. Probably a little bit of both.

Which brings up

Quote:
I think what DID help the 3 is they each had at least one parent who was in an artistic field. Perhaps their parents were more accepting of following one’s dreams

Quote:
Yeah, it could even be that we got what we got from them as artists BECAUSE their parents were creatively encouraging.

Yup, plus the incubating environment that New York was at the time:

“If we had grown up almost anywhere else in the world, our crew wouldn’t have had such a steady flow of amazing events that we could go to, unaccompanied by parents. First of all in other cites you had to dive to shows, which automatically meant a parent. And second, because all of our parents were Artis or intellectuals, they gave us an unusual amount of of freedom. It was still kind the ‘70s, in terms of parenting. My mom had certain time structures, like, you know, I could be out late on a weeknight. And I had to be clear about where I was and where I was going. But her basic attitude was, if your school work didn’t suffer, you do whatever you want. If it does, we have a problem. Everybody in our inner crew had parents that were, in one way or the other, similarly lenient”

so 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
There could be different kinds of privilege. A poor kid that grows up going to a church that just happens to have a bunch of dope musicians playing there, and they let him hang around the church and play all the instruments 24/7.

And they had the privilege of financial security with being surrounded by artists.

NYT article: 

“There were all these artists and art historians and characters from the New York City art world that would permeate most evenings of our lives,” Mr. Diamond recalled. “There were some pretty strongly opinionated folks in that room. So it always seemed completely normal to both my brothers and I that you’d have an opinion about everything. We had a family motto: ‘Often wrong, never in doubt.’”

And comment:

“Not to take away from Mike D nor his parent’s taste in art, but few - regardless of talent - are so fortunate to have the time, security, and opportunity. I am happy that he has done good by it. “

Which they indeed did:

Quote:
Mike posted on Instagram about the auction.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmEQPfM...=14tywjz4ope2d

In which Mike says:

“I was never comfortable holding onto or looking at these awards/accolades that we got through the years. Don’t get me wrong - I’m appreciative of them, it’s just not something I need to look at.

Which answers the question 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post

“Seems really weird that Mike is selling his gold and platinum records. I'm a big collector, but even I wouldn't really want to pay that much for them. Seems like they'd have way more sentimental value to the person who actually made the records…”

With 

Quote:
“Wow, the Beasties stuff sold for huge bucks! It's all going to charity.”

“Come on party people share up your stacks" No one can deny that they just don't talk the talk, they walk the walk.

All this reaffirms

Quote:
I have always respected their modesty. They're definitely down to earth dudes who always seemed to understand that their success is due to a combination of talent and work but also luck, timing and certain privileges.

NYT article comment:

“I have noticed it’s people who are born on third base acting like they hit a triple that stirs up resentment — especially in conjunction with gatekeeping and punching down to hoard opportunities.

Thankfully there are a lot people who are the opposite. Even if they don’t remove barriers, they root for the underdog.”

Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
I think kids should learn this too. Nowadays there are so many accessible ways to make art, it's totally possible to just make things for the love of it.

Which brings up one of my favourite quotes on art: 
“Love the art in yourself,*not yourself in the art” - Konstantin Stanislavski

And from the band 

“we try not to take ourselves too seriously…"

Overall they have always seemed genuinely surprised by their own success.

And 

“Y’all sucked since brass monkey” 

But in the end they have always acknowledged how lucky they were/are

“The odds are stacked for those who lack I been a lucky motherfucker when it comes to that”

And you can't front on that

Last edited by brooklyndust : 01-29-2021 at 10:51 PM.