View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Feel Like A King - Frontline

I was reading about Frontline, it's interesting that they were a hardcore band in the same scene as the Beasties, they were graffiti artists, and then later 2 of the members were in the production team SD50 aka Stimulated Dummies. SD50 produced a lot of great stuff in the early 90s, some of the songs on the first Brand Nubian album among others. It just shows how fluid the scenes in NY were even back then, I think even more so than a lot of people understood. The Beasties were considered groundbreaking at the time for going from one style to another, and they are of course, but it seems that in the scene or scenes that they grew up in this kind of thing was more common than a lot of people were aware of.

I think if nothing else it demonstrates how creative people really could care less about categories and labeled styles, and are just going to gravitate toward who and what they instinctively vibe with. People tend to think of this as more of a modern phenomenon, but maybe it's always been like this, look at Miles Davis and all the different phases he went through, as well as countless other artists before and after him doing the same type of thing.