View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
same old

Default Re: I work with a Vulkan

Vulkan was in a good mood today, either because it's Friday or because nobody is here. But of course, nobody is here because it's Friday. Most people wouldn't be able to tell one mood from the next with him, but I can. I can read his subtle cues. If he's in a good mood he moves more slowly and seems bored rather than his usual expression of being deep in concentration.

You can't talk to him about personal things, getting-to-know-you type of stuff about movies or politics or people you know. There has to be a point, a purpose to the conversation. He doesn't seem to want to hear anyone's opinion unless it's a reasoning type of thing.

I have to change my whole approach to conversations if I talk to him, because if it strays into rambling or aimlessness it physically pains him to be there and listen to it. This is something I can totally relate to, I just thought it was only a small part of my secret bitchiness and selfishness. I didn't think I would ever see it so obviously in someone else.

I was asking him about how much he pays for cable (these are the kinds of things he talks about) and if it was worth it. I explained to him the way Blockbuster Online works, and the prices. He asked me about their selection. He said he never goes to see movies in the theater, only rents them.

It was so hard not to get into talking about movies I'd seen and if I liked them or not! I mean, that's what a normal conversation would be, something like "oh, yes, I've seen that, that's a good one, you should see blahblahblah II...and so on"

I asked him "I'm sorry, I'm not annoying you, am I?" He looked right at me and said "No, not really."

Not really!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
my heart was made of diarrhea