Thread: The Vault Index
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Re: The Vault Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
The first version, as previously stated, was the mixdown the beasties had done themselves. If you recall the original mixes of Too Many Rappers, Lee Majors Come Again, and even Pop Your Balloon, they sounded pretty awful by comparison. Lee Majors was a gritty track in general, so that one wasnt as much of an issue either way. While the Zdar mixes aren't necessarily mind-blowing by any means (still prefer Mario's sound), the contrast between the 1st and 2nd mixdown are night and day. I guess its a matter of opinion, but im certainly not dying to hear (what i like to call) the "rough mix" edition.
Definitely a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the final mix, though I have little to compare it to. I had no problem with the 2009 songs which were released though, there was an eerie lo-fi quality to them and a nice off-kilter reverb. I don't think Zdar has particularly butchered anything - for most of the songs it is impossible to say, as mentioned - aside from Lee Majors which sounds ridiculous, but I would like to reserve my opinion of contrast until the original surfaces in all it's (probable) glory.

I have to appreciate maybe hard copies were never pressed. The early 'reviews' were probably listening sessions under tight controls. I read a few reviews of TT5B which referred to a room of chairs, separate headphones, and bag/body searches before entering and before leaving. Mental.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.