View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
crazy sniffable

Default Re: PYB appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
Hot beats. I wish Zdar mastered it tho. It's kinda lacking sound quality wise compared to the rest of HSCP2.

agree 100%. i think the only thing that keeps it from being my fav HSC era track is the muddy mixdown. the original Too Many Rappers mixdown (the single version I believe) was very similar in that it was similarly dull and flat.

if i recall correctly, the bboys said in an interview that they'd originally intended (and tried) to mix the album down themselves, but eventually came to their senses and enlisted Zdar to take the helm. Pop Your Balloon of course surfaced long before Zdar got involved, so. i suppose the bboys were better suited to stay on the "other side of the glass" so-to-say in the studio.

on a side note, its typical for artists of their caliber and longevity to have poor ears. so many years of creating music and touring turns their ears to shit. very common in fact. i imagine this was a factor in their attempt to mix HSC on their own.

an interesting thought though, i think, is that if Yauch hadn't gotten sick they likely wouldn't have ever second-thought the mixdown and decided to seek out an outside engineer. the whole album's sonic identity would have sounded considerably more amateurish had Yauch's health not turned on him.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 06-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.