View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Dope live version of Sure Shot (Porkys1982 for the win)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Glad you noticed that! I've been on the cut for over 20 years and can attest that what Cane is doing is not as easy as it looks. It's not hard to do doubles and keep the beat going, but what IS hard is keeping the timing as tight as he does with no mistakes. Those old school cats are masters at that.

Mike, on the other hand, will flex super hard but make more timing mistakes, allow for more slop, etc.

So it's like a ying and yang sort of thing and at the end of the day it's hard to say which approach is more difficult. It's like Kane is trying to draw a perfect circle: simple in concept but almost impossible to execute with 100% accuracy. Mike, on the other hand, is doing some wild-style graffiti burner type shit and doesn't care as much about 100% flawlessness. I have much respect for both of them.
I've noticed that too with MMM. He does so much amazing stuff that a lot of the times the beat gets lost. I remember watching DJ competition tapes back in the late 90s (there was like.... DJ Flare, Invizibl Skratch Picklz or however they spelled it, Q-Bert, etc.) and you could see the move away from creating beats for rappers to creating more elaborate music on its own. But they did fuck up the beats quite a bit.