View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Here's a Little Somethin For Ya 7"

I’ll do my best to fill in the gaps as well as possible.

From tuc70021
1.) Who found this and how?

It was listed on eBay and won by someone who contacted us to help dig in and see if it was legit.

2.) Are the Here's a Little Something lyrics the same as the ones that came on the DJ Shadow single (where Yauch references getting a screw in his leg?)
The lyrics are from the 2009 version.

3.) This doesn't look like a test pressing: were there a bunch of them made and just never released?
From the seller as related to the buyer “I have a friend who has worked very closely with The Beastie Boys since 'Check Your Head' days. He told me they pressed this 7" to go in one of the more recent deluxe reissues of one of their albums (may have been Hello Nasty) as a little surprise but right at the last minute they decided not include it. He's sitting on boxes of them! I got two so thought I would let one go.”

From brooklyndust
If anyone has this and upload the audio and share that would be amazing!

Follow this thread.

I wonder how many of these are out in circulation. Love the old school Capitol Subsidiary Swirl Label
We don’t know how many there are, just the sellers info that “He’s sitting on boxes of them”! The label was something we considered. These are my thoughts which I sent to the buyer
“Since it has no copyright date you would have to play it to find out if it was actually supposed to be a bonus 7" for the 2009 Check Your Head reissue, or an actual bonus 7" for the HSCP2 (delayed from HSCP1 and renamed from 2009). The key would be the lyrics on Here's A Little Something For Ya.

We know that the lyrics are different on the 2009 and the 2011 version. The 2009 version was mixed by DJ Shadow on the DJ Hero Soundtrack. All of those had a track time of 4:05. The 2011 version that we got on HSCP2 was 3:08. So if the pella is actually 2:53 it is probably the original 2009 (which was never released other than as a DJ Shadow mash up). So it follows that (If it is legit) it would have the original lyrics, without any of the DJ Shadow reworkings. As far as the Long Burn The Fire song, we only ever had the 2011 version. So, if it is legit that would also be the 2009 version. Incidentally, the track time on the 2011 version is 3:53. That would mean that these are both hypothetically pre Philippe Zdar tracks.

The other tricky part about it is that the label (is similar to) the old Capitol design that was used for the Anthology 4xLP labels in 2000. It isn't the same as the Lee Majors Come Again 7" that was actually a part of the 2009 Check Your Head Box Set or the 2011 B-Boys In The Cut 7" from Hot Sauce Committee Part 2. You can make whatever you want of that fact, I just think it is interesting.

In any case, I would buy this immediately if given the chance…

It looks legit to me, but comes with a lot of questions that can't really be answered unless we hear the audio. I hope that helps, and please update us with any info.”

From Brother McDuff
Better yet, is the instrumental HLSFY 7” out there somewhere…

I can’t prove it, but the answer is almost certainly yes. It is probably not on vinyl, but definitely out there because DJ Shadow had to have the instrumental version to make his mix. The 2011 Zdar produced instrumental has been out there since the blu-ray release (5.1 dolby surround sound mix converted to stereo without the center channel which contained vocals), but the 2009 pre-Zdar version hasn’t surfaced as far as we know. Whether or not the changes are significant are open for debate. Most of my research into the pre Zdar versions has been trying to track them all down so we can hear the difference.

Sounds like a similar treatment to the Lee Majors 7" easter egg that some folks found in their deluxe vinyl boxes, with B Boys In The Cut on the b-side. Some got the acapella, and others got the instrumental.
This is my train of thought in that it probably was intended to be a bonus 7” for one of the Deluxe Reissues, or possibly as the bonus 7” for the release of Hot Sauce Committee part two. Read the response to Bid Dan (shout out), for an explanation of how the tracks were released. Just to avoid confusion.

From bigdan2276
I don't have or remember there being a "Lee Majors" 7" that features "B-Boys in the Cut (Instrumental)" -- only the accapella

The BBITC chronology goes basically like this... The 2009 instrumental was sent to fans via an email from beastieboys.com. The “hook” for the song was sent out the same way. The 2009 accapella was then released as the B-side for the Lee Majors Come Again promo 7” that was released first as random copies inserted in the 4xLP Check Your Head 4xLP Box collection in 2009, and later as independent record store giveaways for customers who purchased Hot Sauce Committee Part Two in 2011 (both versions are identical). In 2009 the instrumental, hook, and accapella were made available on beastiemixes.com and remixed (shout out to nYgel) into a complete track. Then in 2011 the complete official track was released as the A-side of the bonus 7” included in Deluxe Packages for Hot Sauce Committee Part Two. I couldn’t say whether or not Zdar made changes in his production on the 2011 version, but to my untrained ear, it does not seem so.

From Kid Presentable
Very cool. Even now I reflect a lot on 2009. I assume this 7” would have been the random drop in the HN reissues? After the positive response to Lee Majors and Cut at the time, Long Burn would have absolutely blown back our collective wigs. Especially on the back of Bonnaroo. Damn

This is the closest to my thoughts. Here’s a little speculation for ya. Before and after the 2009 release of HSCP1 was interrupted, and decisions about the eventual release of the album had to be made, the idea of a bonus 7” was obviously in play for any and all of the Deluxe reissues as well as what eventually became HSCP2. Prior to the delay the plan was in place and ready to go. That is what HSCP1 would have been. After the decision was made to delay the album we got what we got. There is a line of delineation between what was planned and what happened. The most notable difference between the two were the reworking of the tracks via Phillippe Zdar. So however much anyone wants to refer to interviews or other speculation about the difference between the planned release of HSCP1 and the actual HSCP2, all that we can say for certain is that both versions did exist. In my head I classify them both as pre and post Zdar involvement. Two different versions exist, one from 2009 which we never got, and one from 2011 which we did. So finding the 2009 (pre Zdar production) versions approximates as closely as can be determined what HSCP1 would have sounded like. Any track that appeared on both versions contains a pre and post Zdar version including instrumentals, accapellas, and final versions (one from 2009 and one from 2011). This 7” is definitely a 2009 version based on the lyrics.