View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 PM
same old

Default Re: I work with a Vulkan

I can relate to a lot of his feelings about socializing. I usually just swallow my feelings, though, and try to go with the flow of things. I've always tried to be game for whatever was going on around me. He's the opposite. He refuses to play along. And I love that. I want people like him to know that they're okay just the way they are - you know, in case they ever doubted it.

Doesn't it sound like he has a social anxiety disorder? This is what I know about him; he's impatient and annoyed with emotional people, or personable people who talk about their families or weekends. He keeps a physical distance from most people.

But here's the breakthrough! He had to sign a few things for me, and he stood by my desk signing them all. It took about two full minutes, which is a long time when you thing about standing near someone! He could have taken them down to his office and brought them back, but he didn't. I was silent while he did this, just letting him be next to me without pressuring him to say anything. And then he handed them to me and he left. And that was all. And it was so painful for me!

This is killing me! This is the hardest friend/curiousity challenge I've ever experienced. I know I won't get anywhere unless I take this approach, or nonapproach. But it might not get me anything at all. I know nothing about him. I'm sure that once I do, it'll just be boring old life stuff like anybody else and I'll lose interest. But it's taking too long!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
my heart was made of diarrhea