View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
been mourning and grieving this awful news all day and all night.

one Adam Yauch story-

I was working with a youth group and they were taking group ice skating lessons at Chelsea Piers. I was freeskating around the rink and lo and behold, Adam was doing the same.his daughter was taking a private lesson.

this was post 9-11 NYC. it was a Friday in March 2003. In A World Gone Mad had just been released on the band's official website that very week.

I skated around the rink a couple of times after spotting him and I stopped and called a friend on my cell phone- I was really nervous! I had always hoped to bump into a Beastie Boy on the streets of NYC, but man, this was Adam. MCA in the flesh just going solo around an ice rink.

after building up the nerve, I just skated right up to him, said "Hey Adam" and extended my hand for a handshake. I went right into to telling him that I loved the new track (this was their first new song release in quite some time) and to keep doing what they were doing. he was so kind and genuine.

the next Friday, it was the same story all over again. this time he gave me the old head nod and showed me approval for what I was doing- he saw I was trying my best to supervise these rugrats and keep my composure talking to one of my idols, heroes, legends...

we said what's up again and went about our own business.

he was such an amazing and loving father.
Man, these stories are gut wrenching. But I love learning more about the kind of man he was.